It’s not something many people think about or even realize, but bags of chips and snacks are a major cause of dog ‘su.ff.oca.tion’ when left alone at home. To draw attention to this, a website called Prevent Pet Choking was created to educate people about this common household item and the ‘da.n.g.ers’ it poses. for dogs.
The mylar lining of some bags used to keep snacks fresh can be especially troublesome because they create a barrier that dogs cannot chew on. As dog owners, this is something we need to watch and think about.
Patricia Polacco posted a heartbreaking message on Facebook so others can learn from her family’s tragedy:
“My daughter Traci lost her dearest Wasabi dog because of this…it’s a pig skin bag. She went to get something from her friends, hadn’t even left for 10 minutes and her roommate called. He found her at the front door with the bag still on her head. IF HER SHOULD KNOW……..it didn’t even think that something like this could happen. None of us know!!!! Please expand your vocabulary. Chips bags, zipper bags for leftovers, disposal bags, yogurt containers, especially Yoplait, put them all!!!! Do not leave them where puppies and cats can reach. Our hearts are still broken. THANK.”