Joe Loduha started as a carpenter in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin when training from his old job came in handy.
A former emergency medical technician, Joe drove past a house where smoke was rising. He stopped to see what was going on, and a neighbor insisted there was a dog inside and they called 9-1-1. Help hadn’t come yet, so he bravely tackled the problem himself.
As smoke rose from the back of the house, Joe banged on the window and the second door in the front, stepping inside to find the dog sleeping on the couch. He grabbed her and pulled her out safely before going inside to make sure nothing else was inside. Soon, firefighters showed up and extinguished the fire within thirty minutes.
The owner of the house, Patrick Otis, will later visit his home to inquire about the situation. He ran to his dog Darma and hugged the stranger who saved his life.
The house was damaged, but nothing irreplaceable was paid. The Wisconsin Red Cross will house Patrick and Darma until they are able to stand again.
As for Joe Loduha, he got his glass stuck in his leg after kicking in the door, but he’s okay. What a hero!